If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram you will have seen I’ve recently started to attend classes at my local Virgin Active! I’ve been a member on and off for years but this is the first time I’ve ever been to a class!
I’ve always been worried about looking stupid, being the fattest one there or simply not being able to keep up or understand what the instructor is actually doing! I don’t know why I worried as the classes have been excellent!
I’ve been doing Body Step and Attack (mainly step) which are routines by LES MILLS – Body Step combines basic stepping with burpees and push ups etc. that combined with a fast paced song and encouragement from the instructor the classes are super fun but hard work! I on average burn 600-700 calories per 45 minute class!
Before I started classes I was doing boring cardio in the gym or circuits which my PT taught me back when I was having sessions at the beginning of the year (who was great can I just say!) but cardio gets super boring so classes came just at the right time for me.
If you’re worried like I was then below I have provided a few tips for getting psyched up to attend a class!
- Wear light loose gym clothes (you are going to get HOT & sweaty!)
- Comfortable trainers! (Specialised gym trainers or running ones are the best!)
- Join in on the fun! Act silly and scream when the instructor asks you to! Tony who instructs body step in Brighton is literally hilarious so his classes are full of shouting and acting a fool!
- TAKE A WATER BOTTLE! If you forget no worries as there will be a drinking fountain obvs.
- HAVE FUN! Do not give a damn what anyone else is thinking! So what if you fall over or can’t get the steps right! I still mess up but just laugh it off!
I hope this has given you a little more confidence to start classes, meet new people and most importantly get fitter!
Virgin Active gyms are nationwide and you can check if ones near you HERE.