THIRD WHEEL | Urban Dictionary Definition – One who deters the socialization of a couple, perhaps when being invited out of pitty or through a feeling of duty. This person may be eased into the situation by being allowed to stay in an environment he or she has become accustomed to (perhaps a kitchen, where the third wheel can bake cookies for the couple.) The third wheel may feel uncomfortable about watching the couple canoodle on his her her sofa, but none of this is taken into consideration.
For as long as I can remember, I have been a third wheel and I’m totally fine with that!
Ron & Hermione have Harry
Edward Culen & Bella have Jake
Prince William & the Duchess of Cambridge have Harry
Monica & Chandler have Joey
And my friends L & A have ME!
I have a best friend from school L (the only person I actually see from High School) who has been with his GF – A, now fiancé since they were about 14 years old! So a very long time! And throughout their whole relationship I have been a third wheel and I thank them so much for letting me be that.
Cosy nights in, meals out I’m always there! It takes true friends to involve you in so much of ones life and I wouldn’t change it for the world!
Literally whatever they do I get asked to which for me is great as I wouldn’t get out much if they didn’t, it’s never awkward and I LOVE it! I have also been asked to be best man at their wedding next year which is such a privilege – and “Third Wheeling” will feature a lot in my speech!
I am going to outline some Advantages & Disadvantages of being a third wheel!
- Having 2 best friends is better than 1!
- I get to see how a longterm relationship works and the DO’s & DON’Ts for when/If I ever get into a serious relationship!
- I always have a place to go! Even if L isn’t in, I can still go to their house and chill out with A! It’s not awkward!
- I have my own door key to their flat! Shows how trusted I am!
- I get to be the cool uncle to their kids! My couple has a daughter L who I see every week and LOOOVEEEE so to be honest I’m not really a third wheel anymore as there is 4 of us!
- Theme parks! Everyone knows you can’t go in a 3 to a theme park and the awkward question “Do you know anyone who wants to come?” Mmmm you’re my only friends so no! But thankfully my mates sister is always at hand to come with to make the numbers up! PHEW!
- Seating arrangements when going out for dinner . . . who do I sit opposite? who do I sit next to? Will I offend them? So just let them sit down first and plonk yourself anywhere!
- When an argument breaks out normally the third wheel is the peacemaker! “Charlie what do you think? Is L right? Is A right? Charlie you decide!” NO! Your both as bad as each other do not involve me!
- Picking a takeaway! I’m a “I don’t mind” man which my friends hate! They want me as the third wheel (guest as they sometimes like to refer to me) make the decision HAHAA
- Number 5 ironically is BEING A 5th WHEEL! This isn’t fun! Only happened a few times but I much prefer being a Third Wheel!
So there we have it! I wouldn’t change my relationship with them for the world! Just call me the Harry Potter to Hermione & Ron’s relationship!
Are you a third wheel? I LOVE being one!